Children’s Dental Services
CDS is a non-profit dental clinic for children and mothers. With their existing facility bursting at the seams, CDS needed additional space for three new operatories, office and meeting spaces, as well as an indoor garage for their mobile dental clinic fleet.
For their new headquarters, CDS asked ALM Design Studio to help them renovate a recently purchased building as sustainably as possible within a modest budget. We reused much of the existing structure, taking advantage of natural light and employing inexpensive sustainability improvements throughout. Our solution met their ecological and functional goals while creating a space where kids and families feel at home.
– Used existing exterior windows while adding a new skylight and solar tube to naturally illuminate interior spaces.
– Extensive reuse of millwork, wall partitions and structural elements minimized costs and waste.
– Reinforced the roof structure to carry the weight of a future photovoltaic array.
– New site plan added greenery, water retention and permeable pavers to reduce runoff and set the stage for additional storm water retention later on.
– Collaboratively developed a fun and vibrant color scheme inside and out.